HTC Vive wireless adapter is a game-changer in VR gaming as it turns your headset into a whole new product. The wireless adapter gives you the liberty to move freely and enjoy virtual gaming to the fullest. But it doesn’t mean you won’t face any issues again because wireless adapters are also associated with some problems.
Installing HTC Vive wireless adapters
Vive wireless adapter is not just a plug-and-play gadget. The initial setup is a bit daunting, and you have to do it yourself.
- Firstly, you need to install a PCIe WiGig card in the PCIeX1 slot. This installation can only be done on the PC, which rules out the gaming laptops for this adapter.
- Afterward, you will need to install a cable that connects to a wireless link box you mount on the monitor.
- Now, fix the adapter on the headset and connect to the battery pack and turn it on.
- Download Vive wireless app on your PC and open it. Press the “Pair” button on the adapter to pair the wireless adapter to the link box. You will see “Ready” once the wireless Vive app detects the headset.
- After this, ensure that your controllers, base stations, and other VR hardware are ready using the SteamVR app.
- Clip the battery pack with your belt and make sure to keep it away from the skin because it can get hot during use.
- Now, put on the headset with HTC wireless adapter fixed with it and enjoy.
HTC Vive Wireless Adapter
HTC Vive is a budget-friendly headset that gives you a premium VR experience. To further improve your experience, there is a wireless adapter specially designed for the HTC Vive headset. This wireless adapter eliminates the need for cables and allows you to play freely without being caught up in the wires. It is powered by Intel WiGig technology; it provides minimum latency to make your gaming fast, responsive, and highly enjoyable.
HTC Vive wireless adapter has a T-shaped body built to fit on top of your Vive headset. Moreover, it is so light that you will not feel any extra weight on your head. Besides the adapter, the package also contains a transmitter/receiver, a battery pack, and a PCIe card for PC. The battery pack is wired to the primary device, and the player must wear it on his belt. This means you are not entirely wireless, but still, it is a significant improvement on traditional cables.
According to the manufacturers, the powerful battery of this adapter can last for two and a half hours with a single charge. Plus, the battery pack has a USB-C port for fast charging, so you won’t have to wait long for the next gaming session. Overall, HTC Vive wireless adapter is an impressive gadget with everything for ultimate gaming.
- Excellent performance
- Near-zero latency
- Quite expensive
HTC Vive Wireless Adapter for Vive Pro/ Cosmos Series
HTC Vive Pro is a professional-level headset designed for high-quality virtual gaming. In contrast, HTC Cosmos is a worthy successor to Vive and Vive pro with incredible graphics. HTC wireless adapter is built to make your experience more comfortable with these headsets. Vive wireless adapter is compatible with the Vive cosmos series, Vive Pro series, and Vive Pro eye series.
The design of this adapter may seem odd to some, but it does not interfere with your gaming. Furthermore, the unit only weighs 129 g, so it’s easy to forget that something additional is sitting on your headset. The straps are present to hold the wireless adapter firmly in place during vigorous movements. The latest Intel WiGig technology ensures accurate tracking to give excellent performance.
No doubt, HTC Vive Wireless Adapter considerably improves VR gaming, but it is not an essential accessory. It is expensive, and not everyone can spend a hefty amount on additional equipment.
- Supports high resolution
- Supports 20ft x 20ft play area
- Decent battery life
- Too expensive
Common issues with HTC Vive wireless adapters
No power to the headset
If your HTC Vive headsets are not working even after installing with the Vive wireless adapter, you should try these ways:
- It might happen if the battery is inappropriately plugged or not plugged at all. So, ensure that the battery is correctly plugged into the Vive Wireless adapter through the USB cable.
- The Vive headsets may not power on when there isn’t enough juice in the battery. Make sure that the battery is charged by pressing the button on it.
- Also, confirm that the Vive Wireless adapter is connected to the Vive headset with all three cables.
- You can also try pressing the button on the battery and then the Vive Wireless adapter button to turn them both on.
If you have tried every mentioned fix and your gadget is still not turning ON, try restarting the Vive Wireless connection software, then launch SteamVR.
If your Vive Wireless app gets stuck on initial or any of its processing steps, there are some methods you can try to fix it.
- The Vive wireless connection application may get stuck when you over-extend the wireless transmitter/receiver. So, make sure that you are not doing that. Also, ensure that you are using a high-quality coaxial cable. This coaxial cable for the wireless transmitter/receiver can extend further to 2M, but you will experience this problem beyond that.
- The wireless transmitter/receiver must be placed within the visual range of the Vive Wireless Adapter. The maximum distance range between them is 30ft; you may face some issues after that.
- You can also try inserting the PCI-Express card into a different PCIe slot.
If none of them works, try the following:
In the Windows search bar, type Device Manager in and select the corresponding result.
Now, look for the Intel Wireless Gigabit VR Adapters and tap the arrow next to them. Right-click the Intel Wireless Gigabit W11100 VR Device and click Disable.
Right-click on Intel Wireless Gigabit W11100 VR Device and select Enable.
Afterward, try to rerun the Vive Wireless application. It may fix your problem.
If you are experiencing a grey screen on Vive headset during gameplay or interrupted by the connection loss with your PC, try this:
Exceeding the maximum temperature limit can cause Vive wireless adapter to crash, which temporarily shuts down your VR gaming. So, check if the Vive Wireless Adapter is getting too hot. If yes, take a break and cool down before playing again. Try to lower the ambient temperature or point a fan towards the adapter to cool it down. Moreover, to avoid this, try planning breaks during the gameplay.
A Grey screen also occurs if something is blocking the line of sight between the wireless transmitter, receiver, and headset. That’s why it is critical to ensure a clear and visible path between them.
HTC Vive wireless adapter is an immense creation that has taken virtual reality to a whole new level. It can improve VR gaming, but it is not a must-have accessory. If you are okay with spending a few hundred dollars on a supplement, you must avail this luxury.
– Read Next –
- HTC Vive VR Gun Stock Work With Quest 2