HTC Vive is a famous headset among VR lovers. If you own a pair of HTC Vive VR headsets or are thinking of buying one, it would be best to purchase a base station with it. The HTC Vive compatible base station will increase your immersion in virtual reality and make your time better. The base station is designed to constantly track the movements and location of the Vive VR headset and its controllers.
The base station then communicates this location with your current VR game and makes your virtual reality journey smooth and accurate. Although one base station can do the job, installing multiple base stations, either connected or separately, will cover more areas with better accuracy. This article will provide reviews of some popular HTC Vive base stations. We will also answer some frequently asked questions, so continue reading our guide.
There are certain things you should know before buying a base station. Here we have provided some of the main things to help you pick the best htc base station.
How do Vive Base Stations connect to PC?
- Take HTC Vive Base station sync cable
- Plug one end of the cable into the base station and the other end to your computer’s USB port.
- Plug in the power adapter of your base station and turn on the base station.
HTC Vive Base Station Setup
HTC Vive Base Station setup is not a difficult task. Just follow the following steps and do the job.
- First, decide whether you want a room-scale or seated/standing-only play area.
- Remove the thin film covering the front panel of the base station.
- Mount the base station. It would help if you mounted it diagonally to the opposite corner of your place (especially in the base station 1.0).
- You can use tripod stands, light stands, or cargo poles for mounting the base station. You can use any stable surface for mounting purposes. Just try to avoid any vibrating place.
- Adjust the base station in a stable place so that the front panel faces a play area.
- Plug in power cables to the base station and turn the power outlet on. The green indicator light will turn on once the power is successfully connected.
- Now, take sync cable, connect the base station, and set the channels.
- To set the channel, press the channel button on the back of the base station. Set one base station to channel “b” while the other to channel “c” (if you don’t have sync cable). If HTC Vive sync cable is available, set one channel to “a” while the other is “b.”
- Once the station is turned on, do not move it. Moving the base station once it is connected will distort the tracking.
HTC Vive Base Station 2.0 vs. 1.0
If you are getting a base station, you should know HTC Vive Base Station 2.0 vs. 1.0. Here are some basic distinguishing features between them.
- HTC Vive Base Station 2.0 has increased horizontal FOV. That means you have a more comprehensive range of mounting positions to mount the base station.
- 1.0 station works best when mounted to the opposite corner of the place, but you can mount 2.0 anywhere in your area.
- HTC Vive Base Station 2.0 has sync integrated into laser sweep instead of optical sync.
- You do not need to put base stations directly when using the 2.0 version.
- Occlusion is more significant in 1.0 stations, and hence it is challenging to mount more than one base station in a single room. On the opposite side, you can mount up to 16 base stations 2.0 in an identical room without creating conflict.
- Remember that base stations 2.0 and 1.0 cannot be used simultaneously.
HTC Vive Base Station Repair
If you face problems like HTC Vive Base Station not turning on or the HTC Vive Base Station blinking red, your base station might need repair. Here is how you can do HTC Vive Base Station repair:
- Restart the base station.
- Make sure that the base station is mounted correctly.
- Restart the SteamVR app.
- If the error still won’t go away, reboot your computer and open the SteamVR app again.
Best HTC Vive Base Station and Tracker
HTC SteamVR Base Station 2.0
HTC Vive Base Station 2.0 feeds and increases the presence and immersion of room-scale virtual reality. They do it by helping the Vive headsets and controllers to track the exact location. The base station is better than trackers because they offer more precise tracking, and they are also wireless can be wired. HTC SteamVR Base Station 2.0 is based on the latest technology, and it does a fantastic job of tracking all the movements.
The base station is quite expensive, and the accessories provided are often not up to the mark. The base station box is missing mounting hardware and screws despite the hefty sum you are paying. You have to pay an extra $50 for mounting hardware. The power cable is also much shorter and stiffer than other alike ones. It may become troublesome to hang the line nicely on the wall, given how rigid they are.
Another problem encountered with these base stations is the noise that comes out of them. If you are using only one base station, the noise is insignificant. However, if you want to enjoy great immersion in VR gaming, you need to install more than one or up to 4 base stations. In such cases, the added noise is much more significant and troublesome.
The critical point to remember here is to turn off the base station once you are done using it. The laser inside the base station spins at high-speed RPM, and if you leave it on all the time, it will wear out the base station. If you are using a Bluetooth-connected base station, you only have to turn the Bluetooth off. In the case of a plug system, manually unplug the power from the base station.
HTC SteamVR 2.0 & Vive Tracker (3.0) – PC
HTC SteamVR Base Station 2.0 is the same as the above-described base station with only the addition of five trackers 3.0 for extra and more efficient tracking. The HTC Vive Base Station 2.0 is quite good but relatively expensive, given that it does not come with screws and mounting hardware. HTC Vive base station 2.0 alone provides excellent tracking, but if you pair it with 3 Vive trackers, it will give a full-body quest.
You can easily pair the trackers and base stations with your VR headset. The trackers look like little plastic pucks, but they are outstanding in reality. Charging the base station is slightly slow, and if you love enjoying long sessions of VR gaming, you might find a battery of this base station and tracker insufficient. Overall, this product is suitable for total body tracking and can significantly improve your VR experience.
Skywin VR Tripod Stand
The fourth product on our list is Skywin VR Tripod Stand, which gives HTC Vive Base Station the best height. The Skywin VR Tripod Stand is compatible with HTC Vive Base Station 2.0, HTC Vive Base Station 1.0, and the oculus rift constellation. The telescopic tripod stand is adjustable, and you can adjust it from 2’4” to 7’5”.
In this way tripod stand allows you to position your sensors while playing the game. You can also fold the frame away for storage when not in use. The air is 7 foot 6 inches when fully extended and 29 inches when fully collapsed and folded. Although the tripod stand is compatible with HTC Vive Base Station, this product does not come with the base station.
The tripod stand itself is good except that the company don’t keep check and balance over products and even ship the defective parts. If the product you received does not have any faulty components, then this product will work just fine.
However, keep in mind that the material used to produce the tripod stand is poor. Except for the quality, the tripod stand is fantastic and works precisely as intended. The frame is solid, and you have to adjust the height and mount the base station on it, and you are good to go. Also, stands need at least two ft. diameter space on the floor so keep in mind that before ordering.
The tripod stand is good and can get the job done. However, its quality is poor, and you can even encounter pungent smells coming mostly from cheap petroleum bases products.
Skywin VR Base Station 2.0
Skywin VR Tripod Stand compatible with HTC Vive Base Station 2.0 is an adjustable telescopic stand whose height can be adjusted from 2’4” to 7’5”. The VR Tripod Stand provides the users best measurement for the HTC Vive station. They can adapt their base station and sensors for a better VR experience. Once you have used the stand, you can fold it away for storage.
Like the previously mentioned stand, this tripod stand can be fully extended to 7 feet and 6 inches. On the other hand, the air will be 29 inches if you fold it away. It comes with an adjustable ball head unique mount, although many deliveries have this part missing.
The tripod stand is solid and works excellent with HTC Vive Base Station 1.0 and 2.0. You have to make some adjustments in a way in which you can get the maximum benefit from it. It is lightweight and easily portable. Moreover, they have a clamping mechanism for height adjustment instead of a locking mechanism, making its use even more convenient. The tracking with this stand may become a little wobbly, but overall, it is suitable for tiny houses or apartments.
HTC Vive Tracker (3.0)
HTC Vive Base Station with HTC Vive Tracker 3.0 is a great product that can provide full-body tracking using only three trackers. There is also accessory tracking available which tracks the objects around you and increases the real-time experience of VR. The USB port, other than the data port to provide power, is available to input Controller button events. This product is suitable for full-body tracking, and it does its job somewhat. After charging it completely, this HTC Vive base station works perfectly without any errors and glitches for about 3.5 to 4 hours.
HTC Vive base station with HTC Vive Tracker 3.0 is pretty good, but it is also pretty expensive. They provide good tracking of all body parts to increase your immersion in the VR game. However, you may face some difficulty finding a good location for a tracker, the location at which the tracker works perfectly.
Batteries of this station last for quite some time but not long enough for long VR gaming sessions. If you are a pro player who likes to play VR games for a long time, the battery might create a problem.
With one base station, you should buy three trackers to keep track of your competitive body. This base station and tracker is a decent product that hefty price. However, keep in mind that they are not perfect. The tracker may occasionally lose contact with the base station, and you have to work on it to fix the problem. Initial pairing and update of firmware are easy and quick. But charging batteries take quite a time. Overall, the product is a bit pricey but does its job decently.
Which VR base station is the best?
Does HTC Vive need a base station?
What base station comes with the HTC Vive?
How many Vive Base Stations do I need?
Here comes the end of our guide on the best HTC Vive base stations. Base station no doubt increase your immersion in the virtual reality world. However, you need to pick an excellent base station to enjoy its benefits fully.
– Read Next –